A Better Chance (ABC) is an organization that matches qualifying students with private preparatory boarding and day schools. 7th and 8th graders can apply through their counselors for the following year's admission. ABC has been helping students advance in their educational opportunities for years by providing scholarships to college-prep high schools. The application process is rigorous, with multiple meetings, paperwork, and interviews.
The ABC program is looking for students with the following criteria:
- student of color (other than Caucasian)
- U.S. citizen
- ranked in the top 10% of their class
- have at least a 3.5 GPA
- demonstrates leadership potential
- participates in extra-curricular activities
- are of upstanding character
- performs at or above grade level in math and language arts
- receives good teacher recommendations
Applications can be found online at A Better Chance.
Each year, MacArthur students have been awarded scholarships to attend prestigious private high schools throughout the United States.
Here is Diego De Leon (MacArthur, 2016) visiting and sharing his ABC experiences. Diego received a full-scholarship to Staples High School in Westport, Connecticut.